What kid, or adult, doesn’t love rice krispie treats? But they can get boring. And the combination of butter, marshmallows and sugary cereal doesn’t make them the healthiest treat. So here’s my version… Healthier and more colorful!
3 Tbs butter
10oz. package of marshmallows
1 tsp cinnamon
6oz. bag of Arrowhead Mills Puffed Rice Cereal
coconut oil to grease the pan
what I did…
1. In a small pot, melt the butter and then add the marshmallows and cinnamon. Stir until its completely melted.
2. Add a couple dashes of sprinkles and stir them. Don’t let them ‘cook’ into the mixture, or they’ll melt completely and then it’ll just become a mottled color.
3. Pour the mixture over the cereal and use a silicon spatula/scraper to mix together.
4. Rub a little coconut oil onto the bottom and sides of a 9×9 pan so they don’t stick!
5. Put the mixture into the pan. Take a sheet of parchment paper, lay it over the mixture, and press firmly until they’re spread out evenly (no need to get your hands all stick!). Place them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to cool/set. (Storing them in the fridge keeps them crunchy. If you take them out after they set, they’ll soften and be more gooey-like)
use parchment paper to press the mixture into the pan
* other ingredients I have also added before pouring the mixture over the cereal : shredded coconut, 1-2 tsp cacao powder, 2-3 Tbs of pureed fruit (banana, mango, strawberry, etc)… Experimentation gets you tastier results!
* note: they don’t taste exactly like “old-fashioned rice krispie treats”, but I like these better, and because they’re healthier (and vegan) I would rather make these and give them to my child!
* I use Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread instead of butter or margarine for all of my recipes
* I prefer Arrowhead Mills Puffed Rice Cereal because its made with whole grain brown rice, has no high fructose corn syrup, its vegan, has no added salt or sugar, and its all natural!!!